Friday 4 February 2011

Thick and thin handspun

I love spinning! Both fine yarns and the more quick, fun thick & thin yarns. I have found a little formula that I have found that works quite well for thick and thin. Divide your roving (approx. 4oz), with out tearing, in half, and then fold one half in half again, so you end up with a quarter of the roving. Tear the quarter section of the roving off.

Then spin the quarter section thinly, I use the fastest setting on my wheel. and then on a slower setting, I spin thick and thin with the 3/4 of roving. If you have not tried spinning thick and thin, you pinch the roving in a tick big and draft it until it goes quite thin, and then repeat this motion.

Once both of my singles are spun up, I ply them together on an even slower setting and voila, a gorgeous soft two ply thick and thin yarn. Perfect for a hat, or if  you have up to 8 oz of fibre a scarf!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    Thank you so much for posting on thick and thin... I'm pretty new to spinning and was wondering if you could help me! I'm trying to spin thick and thin but my yarn ends up over spun and curls up (sorry, I'm not really sure of all the correct terms) Have you got any suggestions on how I can get it to not curl up so much?
    Thank you in advance!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it curl up when it is plied? Or as a single? If it is a single it will tend to curl up in the thin parts and not at all in the tick parts. Wool is smart and spin goes where it needs to!

    If it is curling after plying you need to set the twist. I.e. give it a hot water soak and then hang to dry. You can weight it a bit until the yarn hangs straight but not taut or it will take all of the loftiness out of it.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete