Wednesday 28 July 2010

Indigo dyeing

This is my second attempt at natural indigo. The first time I used indigo, bran and madder but it didn't really take off, aside from the smell! I abandoned it and let things rest until a lady came in the shop and shared that she had success using dates. This combined with wrapping it in layers of woolen blankets in a rubber maid and a fish tank water heater resulted in my vat developing the sludgy oily top layer.


Dip one and dry...

Dip 2 and dry.....


Rinse and dry!
I am very happy with the results.
A big thank you to Jean who has introduced me to the fascinating world of indigo
and Hanna for sharing her use of dates!

1 comment:

  1. really glad the dates worked for you! and so nice to see your happy results. indigo feels magical when it works.

    ReplyDelete